Captioned Phones: They Say It All
A captioned telephone is a phone that has a built-in screen to display what the person on the other line is saying in text.
Benefits of Captioned Phones
- Never miss a word! Spend more time focusing on the conversation rather than trying to interpret what’s being said.
- Most phones are free (see below for more information on how to get yours).
- They’re perfect for hearing aid users!
CapTel phones work like any other telephone with one important addition: they show captions of everything your caller says. You can listen to the caller and can also read the captions in the CapTel display. Just like captions on TV, only for your phone.
- Easy to use — CapTel works like a regular phone
- Large text — 7 to 10 inch screen with adjustable text sizes for easy reading
- Location flexibility — uses a wired or wireless Internet connection
- Customizable audio — easily adjust ringer and handset volume
- Voice mail — caption your answering machine messages
- Hearing aid compatible — eliminates feedback and provides a telecoil option
*Phone and service fees can be waived if a qualified hearing care professional signs a certification form detailing your hearing loss. Call us today to see if you qualify for this free service.
How CapTel Works
You talk to the other party and they talk back to you for you to hear. Then everything the other party says also goes through a Captioning Service, which transcribes their words for you to read on the CapTel display.
How to Get It
The CapTel services and phone* will be provided at no cost to you if a qualified hearing care professional certifies your hearing loss and your need for a captioned telephone service.
*High-speed Internet and a landline telephone service is required for the phone to be provided at no cost to you. If you do not have high-speed internet but have a landline, there will be a one-time $75 fee assessed for the phone.
If CapTel sounds like an option that would be useful for you, please contact our office for more information.