How can you recycle used hearing aids? The answer is definitely the same whether you choose to upgrade to a more advanced model such as cochlear implants or you got them from a deceased family member: donate your pre-owned hearing aids instead of getting rid of.
There are several organizations that acquire and circulate used hearing aids to people who could really use them, and there are plenty of people who need them. Read on to discover why it’s important to donate your used hearing aid and find out how you can go about it.
Why You Should Consider Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
- Around 14% of the overall population, suffers from hearing loss
- Of all of the adults who have loss of hearing 91% percent are above the age of 50
- 15% of school-age children have some kind of hearing loss
- Approximately 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …hearing aids are actually utilized by only 16% (4.6 million) of them
- First time hearing aid users have an average age of 70, but again…
- Less than 30% of those over 70 who require hearing aids have ever had them
I think we should be worried. Because neglected hearing loss has been linked to several health problems from a greater risk of falling to mental decline and depression. In fact, new research comes out on a regular basis showing how crucial hearing is to your overall health. These health issues can be avoided and in certain instances reversed by hearing aids.
And hearing loss will cost the average family up to $12,000 every year which should be a very persuasive point. But that cost can actually be lessened by as much as 50% with hearing aids.
For a family that loses out on $12,000 each year, it may simply not be feasible for them to afford a hearing aid.
For a person in need, who can’t afford a hearing aid, your old hearing aids can have a huge impact on their financial well being, quality of life, and overall health. It may also cost a child the ability to get into college and make their lives better because they can’t hear in school.
How to Donate Your Used Hearing Aid
Old hearing aids are recycled and dispensed by many manufacturers and volunteer groups. Come and talk with us so we can guide you on the right recycling option for you. Or give us a call.